Hydraulic Steering - Open Centre Orbital

aRBe
AgOpenGPS Participant

Hydraulic Steering - Open Centre Orbital

Post by aRBe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 pm

For those of you who are wanting to use Hydraulic Steering (such as myself) I thought I would share my experience to date.

I am yet to get AgOpenGPS installed into my tractor but I have spent a lot of time on getting a Hydraulic Valve installed into it.

Originally I thought I had a closed centre orbital after reading some where that if your orbital has 5 hoses coming off of it, then it is a load sensing close centre orbital. I purchased a suitable valve and teed off the various hoses from the orbital to the valve. When testing the wheels would jolt a little bit but would not actually move. This is when I did some more investigation/testing and discovered that I actually have an open centre orbital.

Removing the orbital from the plumbing and just keeping the valve proved that the valve worked and the wheels would go from left to right just fine. Problem now is that it is closed centre and this will cause the oil to heat up (and possible the pump to eventually fail).

With the orbital and the valve installed the pressure to move the steering ram would just flow through the open centre of the orbital when trying to use the valve.

I am yet to find a suitable open centre valve. I have however, after talking with a Hydraulic vendor, found that I can install a second diverter valve in the system. I haven't had a chance to install it yet but it will default oil flow to the orbital but when enabled will divert flow to the valve and block the orbital.
aRBe
AgOpenGPS Fan!